GUNDA RAJ IN THE TIMES OF NAVRATRI

/
0 Comments

When the most revered occasion becomes a burden

I am an Indian, living in the National Capital Region, Uttar Pradesh's urban city of Ghaziabad. It's a planned, developed urban area with high-rise buildings, a Habitat Center, sprawling malls, and other modern, urban infrastructures. The city has developed over the years, in leaps and bounds. But, sadly its people's mentality still has a long way to go. It is not a one-off incident that triggered this chain of thought in me. As we know, the pious occasion of Navratri is underway. A nine-day festival celebrating the symbolism of courage and valor of Goddess Durga. The festival in North India is marked by observing fasts for 9 days and/or following strictly vegetarian diet or by eating fruits. The vegetarian diet also excludes consumption of root vegetables like onion, garlic and other such items. It is like a cleansing ritual which is beneficial for our health, if done under proper guidance.
Neither I observe fasts during such festivals, nor do I feel guilty about not following the rituals. 
I thought, naively, now that we are in the year 2016, and living in one of the most tolerant countries in the world (no pun intended;) Eating my choice of food won't be an issue. I was wrong. For my breakfast, I ventured out to get eggs. Little did i know, that this beautiful morning will turn bitter for me. 
I walked into 3 shops and asked them to pack me a dozen eggs. To my surprise and amusement, I kept getting curt dismissals. These shopkeepers were not even uttering the word 'अंडा,' just gesticulating at me by swinging their heads from side to side. I thought, Ok! What the hell, not a big deal. I will try my luck in other shops. But, I had no idea that the situation I was getting myself into, was not going to be funny. I was also taken aback by the sheer lack of civility among these people. This miniature version of a super store, just around the corner was open. I walked in and feebly asked a man at the counter to pack me a dozen eggs. The man was pre-occupied and so, didn't listen to me properly and asked again what I wanted. This time in a more firm and loud voice I said pack me a dozen eggs and a packet of bread to go with. The customers in the store and the shopkeeper turned and looked at me in disgust. The counter guy said in an exasperated tone,
नवरात्रे चल रहे हैं मैडम, हम अंडे क्यों रखेंगे?!"
"Navratri is underway, how can we keep eggs?"
 This annoyed me a lot. I reverted by saying that not everyone observes fast and follows vegetarian diet during Navratri. So how does it matter, and you're running a shop, not a religious house. To which a fellow customer standing among others walks towards me and inquires curiously,
"आप हिन्दू है या कुछ और?"
 "Are you a Hindu or something else?"
 This is it! I lost my cool then & there. Never in my lifetime up until then, I had to wear a badge of my religion. And now, I have to answer these silly questions of moronic few. I snapped back at that interfering prick,
"आप को क्या करना है इससे?!"
 "What does it concern you?!"
By now I wanted to get out of that store, but not without giving them a piece of my mind. The shop owner then sensing the tension said in a subdued tone,
"हमारे पास अभी अंडे नहीं है मैडम।"
 "We don't have eggs."
 I was visibly irritated. Just before walking out, I said to the owner, that he should put up a signboard at the entrance, stating that 'Only vegetarians and Hindus are allowed inside the shop during Navratras,' and stormed out of the shop. The incident left me thinking about the non-Hindus & Hindus as well, who wish to eat non-vegetarian food, during such festivals, in the confines of their homes. Is there supposed to be a higher authority, which would hand out permission slips to allow people from different faiths to eat foods of their choice. We don't need such high-handedness to make our lives even more difficult than it is.
I don't consider myself belonging to any particular religion. The statement might sound of a confused mind. But, I don't want to ascribe to a particular line of thought and constrict the scope and reach of my life. Religion is a relative choice. And, I am not making a vague statement here. I believe in this thought. I want to be part of a larger ecosystem which values humanity. Cliche, right?!
Religion is a catalyst, which brings discipline in one's life. And, no offence to anybody who follows rituals in order to invoke positivity and bliss in their lives. But, spiritualism is diametrically opposite to religion. Rituals do not guarantee spiritual elevation. Your deeds and actions decide the goodness in you. Although, following rituals might provide a sense of hope. But that is all there is to it.
  • I don't believe in observing fasts.
  • I don't believe in donating money to temples/churches/masjid/dargah/or any other religious house.
  • I don't believe in chanting a certain mantra, hymn,etc, a certain number of times, to attain prosperity in life.
  • I don't believe in refraining myself from eating certain food items on particular days.
  • I don't believe in bargaining with the Almighty.
I believe that my god is not a small person with smaller mind and heart. It wouldn't get enraged, because I didn't observe any fasts,or, ate chicken on a Tuesday or Thursday. I know my god cannot be, and is not, a sadistic, who would enjoy while I inflict pain upon my body. I refuse to believe those mythical tales. My religion is my way of life. The decisions I take in my day-to-day life, are my rituals. These rituals are in constant state of change. I might take decisions, which are right, wrong, silly, practical, impractical, great or best! But, they would be mine. I don't enforce my beliefs on to you. In return, I expect, and rightly so, not to be policed and lectured to fall in line, in accordance with your religious beliefs. It's not about the unavailability of eggs, that is bothering me. What infuriates me is that these small acts of transgression, and enforcing indirectly a particular set of beliefs on non-conforming populace, creates divide. 
This was never the case earlier, but I see, read and experience such hard-line stand taken in the past two years. That says a lot about the shift (definitely not in a positive direction) in our tolerance levels. Creating an environment where people are not free to choose what they want to eat, wear, think or express is a highly combustible scenario.

PS: I am not going to disclose my religion. Read this piece as a manifestation of a frustrated Indian. 








You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.